Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Goodbye Brazil. Thanks for the Memories.


I knew this trip was going to be impactful but the friendships, life lessons, and the heart break of poverty touched me beyond my imagination. People gave me their bed to sleep in, opened their doors to me, and loved me like I was their own. I entered into homes as a stranger, and was treated like family after hello.


Upon landing on U.S. soil I had a great deal of mixed feelings. My first 15 minutes in Atlanta greeted me with cold faces, rude remarks, and self centered travelers. In a land that is so rich we find ourself in financial crisis and depressed. I just left a 3rd world country that has a 1st class outlook on life. Their water may not be clean, the electricity shorts often, the crime rate is high BUT they smile and help one another. Moving forward, my hope is to keep a grateful attitude and live my life like a Brazilian. They help people in need. They make time for others and cherish family. 


Making my last blog entry has been something I have dreaded. The last month ended in a blink. I hope you all enjoyed some of my witty remarks and takes on a trip that was beyond words.


Stay happy, stay healthy, and sleep with the angels.


Love,

Leslie


5 comments:

  1. Here I am again, Leslie. We will all miss you and your group. It was great having you here. It's funny we were together for only a couple of days, but sometimes I felt like we had met for months.
    I am glad you enjoyed our country. As I read your comments, I remembered my year as an exchange student in Ohio. I agree with 99% with what you said.
    As you liked Brazil, I also loved the USA.
    And, again I repeat: I think Brazil and USA complete each other. We have lot's to learn with the other.

    Keep in touch. If you or any of your friends come to Brazil, tell him to stop in Natal. We will receive him/her as we received you.

    My e-mail is: manuelgaspar@meirozgrilo.com
    REgards,

    Manuel Gaspar (the driver)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching Les - you really put things into perspective.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Manuel's post in that Brazil and the US complete each other :). Now a trip to Brazil is in order! It sounds by your post you got out of the trip what I was hoping you would. Experiences like that happen few times in a lifetime if they happen at all. Glad to have you home though :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. can I have your e-mail? we don`t know each other, but I used to live in recife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leslie...I just found your blog link on Noodle's (Natalie's) site! I am so excited to read about your adventures! Glad you are back safe!
    Jen Lallo

    ReplyDelete