Monday, April 27, 2009

Foho Gong Wrong



Foho is a very famous dance in Brazil. The name originated from WWII; it means dancing for all. When U.S. troops were stationed in Brazil they hosted dance parties for the troops. Somewhere along the way the troops thought it was called "foho" instead of "dancing for all". I'm guessing cashasha shots played a role in this mix up. Regardless, it stuck. The dance and music has several variations.

Upon my arrival to Brazil I was anxious to experience foho however, I got off to a rough start. My host in Natal (Emanuelle) knew I wanted to learn, so she asked a friend to take me foho dancing. My roommate, Tracey (an exchange student from Arizona) joined. Upon hitting the foho floor I immediately knew something was terribly wrong. This dance requires a partner and my other half didn't know rhythm if it hit him square in the face. 5 minutes into foho I lost feeling in my right hand and toes. I thought this was suppose to be fun for all?! I'm assuming the knuckle squeezing was a nervous reflex? Stepping on my toes was a symptom of no rhythm. Baby Jesus didn't bless this guy with dancing skills. After a lot of looks from the sidelines my girl Tracey, from AZ saved me. Turns out it was much more graphic from the sidelines. Tracey said he was flapping one arm like a chicken in between steps! That was not the last of his chicken-like behavior. Round 2-5 exhibited several awkward chicken-like neck pecking attempts. I felt like I was in battle ducking and dodging from this character. My neck, my toes, my hand!

Later in the evening Tracey offered her boyfriend to me for a few dances so I could experience and learn some REAL foho. Emanielle, Tracey and I laughed until our faces hurt the following morning. Emanielle thought he was a good dancer and didn't think he liked the ladies much. Boy was she wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment